Thu 17 Sept 8pm
Presented by Kate Molleson
Duration: approx. 75 mins
Prelude from Suite No. 2 in G minor Z 661
Twas within a furlong of Edinburgh Town
Variation set on Twas within a furlong…and jig
If Music be the food of love
A New Irish Tune Z. 646
The modes of the court (from The Beggar’s Opera)
James Oswald Divisions on Lilli Burlare
Jigg from The Gordian Knot Unty’d
Ground Z. 221
Bess of Bedlam Z. 370
By moonlight on the green
Ground No 1 in G major
Suite in D major Z. 667
Draghi An Italian Ground
Purcell Sweeter than Roses
Playford John, Come Kiss me
Robert de Visée
Prelude • Allemande • Courante • Chaconne
If Music be the Food of Love
Ye banks and braes and Afton Water (from Scots Musical Museum)
Price to view this concert £5
View all concerts with a Festival Pass for £33
The Dunedin Consort’s adventures in the great baroque repertoire have been a glorious fixture in every Lammermuir Festival. This, though, is the first time they have explored British music of the period for us. The leading English musical figure of the 17th century was, of course, the incomparable Henry Purcell and his songs and instrumental music are the backbone of this fascinating programme. Lines between popular and art music were often blurred, with folk dance and song providing raw material for the secular music of Purcell and such less-celebrated figures as Crail-born James Oswald. But foreign influences also added to the rich diversity of British musical culture, so the lone Frenchman, Versailles court composer Robert de Visée, earns his place here too.
John Butt really does excel at these explorations of monumental major works; the performance is wonderful, while the level of historical and musical enquiry further enriches our appreciation.
. . . ensemble brilliance at its most inventive and scintillating. A happiest time was had by all.
Holy Trinity stands on the site of a Franciscan friary (the original ‘Lamp of Lothian’ before that title passed to St Mary’s Church nearby) which was built here in the 13th Century. The friary was demolished in 1572, and almost two centuries later, in 1769, work was begun on a ‘qualified’ Anglican chapel which was finally consecrated as Holy Trinity in 1815. The present chancel was added and the interior remodelled in an attractive neo-Byzantine style in 1930.