What's on in 2019

Brandenburg Concertos III

Thu 19 Sept 3pm

Prestongrange Parish Church, Prestonpans

Dunedin Consort

Book your tickets

Duration: approx. 1 hour 30 mins

£21 / £15.75

A booking fee of £1 per ticket, up to a maximum of £5 per transaction, will be added to all bookings.

Half price concession for children and students in full time education

Venue | How to get there | Accessibility

Credit: Dunedin Consort

Concerto Grosso Op 6 No 4 in A minor

Concerto Op 8 No 1 in E Major ‘Spring’

Concerto for Oboe Op 8 No 12 in C Major

Concerto Grosso Op 6 No 11 in A major

Brandenburg Concerto No 5 in D major


Oboe
Violin


Director

Though extensively rebuilt in the 18th century, Prestongrange Kirk has its origins in the early days of the Reformation. This fine burgh kirk is the setting for the Dunedin Consort’s third concert, which climaxes in one of the best-loved of the Brandenburg Concertos, with its brilliant solo roles for harpsichord, flute and violin. Another of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons concertos, an oboe concerto and two of Handel’s most exquisite concerti grossi make this a feast of baroque brilliance.

'The fizz and crackle of the orchestral writing could only have come from a young genius on the make, and that jumped out of this Dunedin Consort performance'

Seen and Heard International

Seating Plan

See ticket prices for Prestongrange Parish Church, Prestonpans below. For tickets, please call the box office on 0131 473 2000.

Prestongrange Parish Church, Prestonpans

There was a church in Prestonpans from the 12th Century, but it was destroyed in 1544 when English troops laid waste to this part of the Scottish LowIands in Henry VIII’s ‘Rough Wooing’. Prestongrange was one of the first churches to be built in Scotland after the Reformation of 1560.

It was erected in 1596 on land given by Lord Hamilton of Preston and at the expense of its first minister, the redoubtable John Davidson. He was an outspoken follower of John Knox and fierce proponent of the reformed faith who decried bishops, denounced those in the Church who took seats in Parliament and boldly criticised King James VI. He was briefly imprisoned in Edinburgh Castle in 1601 and then banned from leaving his parish for life.

During the Jacobite Rising a later minister, William Carlyle, wrote a report of the Battle of Prestonpans in 1745, having witnessed it from the church tower. The church was extensively restored in 1774 and again in 1891. Only the clock tower and some surrounding masonry remains from the original 1596 building; the outline of the original west gable end can still be seen inside the roof.

Prestongrange Parish Church, Prestonpans

Address

Prestongrange Parish Church, Prestonpans
EH32 9DX

Getting there by bus

Prestonpans is well served by buses

Getting there by train

Prestonpans has a railway station and is on the Edinburgh – North Berwick route

Getting there by car

Coast road B1348 and top road B1361, both run parallel to the A1

Accessibility

Parking:

Free on street car parking

Terrain:

Tarmac sloped path; wheelchair ramp into grounds

Induction Loop:
Yes

Toilets:
1 unisex toilet (wheelchair accessible but down 4 small steps)

Visit East Lothian

Visit East Lothian

Visit Scotland East Lothian