Cardinall’s Musick Sing Byrd

Byrd Mass for Four Voices
Byrd Propers for Nativity of BVM
Byrd Miserere mei [a 5 1591]
Byrd Ecce quam bonum
Byrd Unam petii a Domino
Byrd Christe qui lux es [a 5 MS]
Byrd Visita quaesumus Domine
Byrd O gloriosa Domina
Byrd Recordare Domine
Byrd Salve regina [a 6 1591]

The Cardinall’s Musick
Andrew Carwood Director

The Cardinall’s Musick has won no fewer than four Gramophone Awards for Early Music, including the 2010 Recording of the Year for the final volume in their complete Byrd series. This programme in St Mary’s resplendent acoustic features some of the most inspiring music by the great Tudor master.

“Superb ensemble and perfectly characterised vocal lines – the persistent hallmark of this outstanding group.”
Andrew Clements, The Guardian

 

Running time 1 hour 40 minutes

St. Mary’s Parish Church, Haddington

The Collegiate Church of St Mary the Virgin is one of the great ecclesiastical buildings of mediaeval Scotland, founded in 1380 and known for centuries as "The Lamp of Lothian".

It was severely damaged in the 16th Century during Henry VIII's 'Rough Wooing' of Scotland, and after the Reformation only the nave was used as a parish church, with the choir and tower remaining roofless.

It was finally restored to its former glory in the 1970s, and is Scotland's longest church as well as one of its most beautiful, with a wonderfully warm, resonant acoustic.

St. Mary’s Parish Church, Haddington

Address

St. Mary’s Parish Church, Haddington
EH41 4BZ

Getting there by bus

Several Edinburgh to Haddington routes to the Market Street bus stop. Also Perryman’s 253 service from Edinburgh Bus Station – Berwick, stopping in Haddington. All drop off in the High St, approx. 5-8 mins walk from the church.

Getting there by train

Edinburgh to North Berwick service every hour. Nearest station is Drem. Taxi info on station notice board.

Getting there by car

Haddington is 20 miles East of Edinburgh along the A1 dual carriageway. Travelling East take the second exit to Haddington – St Mary’s is signposted from the main road. Look to the South, and you will see the old church tower in the distance.

Accessibility

Parking:

There is free on-street parking 100m from the church, on the road, and throughout the town.

Only disabled parking is allowed in the church grounds. There are 3 disabled spaces. Please email admin@lammermuirfestival.co.uk if you require one of these spaces.

Please note:
JUNE UPDATE
10 Sept at 1900 Jeremy Denk with the RSNO – maximum 3 available spaces all booked up
14 Sept at 1930 SCO – maximum 3 available spaces all booked up
18 Sept at 200 Dunedin Consort – maximum 3 available spaces all booked up

Terrain:

Tarmac and gravel

Induction Loop:
Yes

Toilets:
Good male/female provision plus adapted toilet for disabled.

Wheelchair Access:

Access is via the North Side (side) door, available 30 minutes before concert. Press bell for assistance. Level access into venue.

Visit East Lothian

Visit East Lothian

Visit Scotland East Lothian