Wed 18 Sept 3pm
Ormiston Parish Church, Ormiston
Red Note Ensemble
Duration: approx. 1 hour 30 mins
A booking fee of £1 per ticket, up to a maximum of £5 per transaction, will be added to all bookings.
Half price concession for children and students in full time education
Credit: Wattie Cheung
Crossing King’s Reach
Red Note, with the talented young musicians of its international training academy, play an exciting programme of new commissions from Academy members drawn from major European conservatoires, plus works by two major British composers.
'Red Note add their wit and bright spirit to whatever they tackle'
Ormiston takes its name from a possibly mythical Viking settler called Ormr, meaning 'serpent' or 'dragon', and in the Middle Ages the land-owning Orme family. The ‘ton’ or ‘toun’ part of the name means ‘farmstead’ rather than ‘town’. Ormiston, founded in 1735 by John Cockburn, a key figure in the Agricultural Revolution, was Scotland’s first planned village. Spinning and weaving were the main sources of employment at first, but by the early 19th century these trades, as well as a distillery and a brewery, had largely failed and several coal mines that had been opened around the village took their place.
The present Parish Church, completed in 1938, was designed in Arts & Crafts style by the Edinburgh architect Thomas Aikman Swan and modernised and refurbished in 2005. It contains stained glass windows from the original parish church depicting Moses, St Paul and Christ.
Ormiston Parish Church
Free on street car parkingTerrain:
3 toilets, 1 wheelchair accessible